Wednesday, 27 April 2016

11. Legal and Ethical :: LO2

1. IPSO

IPSO or Independent Press Standards Organisation is a regulator of the newspaper and magazine industry. They exist to promote professional standards of journalism in the UK. IPSO handle complaints and conduct investigations for magazines within the UK. They also strive to protect individuals rights from copyright etc.   We administer the Editors' Code of Practice and take active steps to ensure that publications adhere to it. The Editors' Code deals with issues such as accuracy, invasion of privacy, intrusion into grief or shock and harassment.
How will I adhere to this regulation?
1.) I will ensure that I get consent from users before publishing them (Release & consent form)
2.) I will make sure no shocking content (in any way) will make it into my magazine.
3.) I will send interview questions beforehand to the interviewee and ensure they find nothing harassing or disturbing to answer.
2. Obscene Publications Act

The obscene publications act prevent heavily obscene content being published into a magazine and will also monitor light obscene content closely. The following items the act includes are; Alcohol, Violence, Nudity, Swearing and Drugs. It is illegal to publish content that may impact negativity on an audience. 


How will I adhere to this regulation?
1.) I will ensure my magazine does not promote any of the above by making sure photographed areas do not connote any of the items that breach this act.
2.) I will make sure that Violence is not portrayed in my magazine.
3.) I will make sure all text (including from interviews) does not contain any profanity or offensive language. 

3. Libel Law

You can not publish false information to a magazine or also ensure no defamatory (harmful) content about a person or place is published in a magazine. It is illegal to do the following.


How will I adhere to this regulation?
1.) My articles will breach this law as the purpose of creating this magazine is for educational use only. The final article will not be published.
2.) I will make sure no defamatory content makes it into my magazine.
3.) False information that can be real will not be inputted into my magazine. 

4. Copyright

Copyright is a law which protects intellectual property owned by a company or individual. Without express copyright permission from a contents author, this would be a breach of the copyright act and will allow the individual / company to sue based on the seriousness of the copyright strike. 

We must get permission for the following items used:
Logos ; Location Permissions ; Organisation Permissions ; Photographs (people who are included) 


How will I adhere to this regulation?
1.) I will gain relavent documents for permission to use a model before i conduct a photograph shoot (release and consent form)
2.) I will take photographs in public domain so it is copyright free
3.) I will make sure ask for permission for any logos i may use that i haven't created my self. 

5. Laws of Contempt

For any court cases that might be taking place, a journalist (so hence magazine) cannot publish information that could potentially compromise the court case (e.g Creating biased opinions etc). 


How will I adhere to this regulation?
1.) As my magazine will not include any court case information, i do not have to worry about breaching this law.

No comments:

Post a Comment